Saturday, August 24, 2013

Week Two

 


First published Oct 11, 2012
This post is all over the place, but the last picture goes a long way to explaining my disconnected thoughts!

I have no idea where this new path of mine is taking me, but I do know it is a step in the right direction.  A step away from engineering – not that there is anything wrong with engineering, I happen to know some lovely engineers – but it is not for me!  I had no idea my drafting would take me so far off track; first working on bulk chemical handling systems (I know; huh?), septic fields and another company that designed pollution control for pulp mills (zzzzzzz).

It started to come together once I started swimming pool design. I loved the design process, meeting others working on the projects, the site visits and the travel.  Since moving to Sydney, I realize how I miss certain aspects of that job.  So how to marry my technical side with my creative side?  (Whoops… years in design meetings and I have started to pick up on the corporate lingo!)

Week Two’s assignment was all about studying monochrome color.  We created paint chips from a base color and then created a storyboard based on that color and mood.  I could not decide between red or blue, so did both.  (Original chip color is approx. in the middle of the palette.)

Cutting pictures out of magazines for the storyboard in class, I had an aha moment!  I had brought my (heavily edited) collection of interior magazines with my from Canada.  I could not bear to throw them all out, and ran out of time to look through them.  I’m a bit embarassed to say I did ship some of them with me.  I was slightly excited to find the stash at the front of the storage locker the other day, so possibly it was worth it!  Subconsciously I must have known that I would one day need them for a design course in Sydney.

(Please excuse the poor scan quality.  I had to use my iPhone Turbo Scan as my real scanner is tucked away in the storage locker.)

No comments: