Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Couch to 5K







First published Aug 22, 2012

Life gets busy and next thing, you find yourself asking, "When did I last do some real exercise?"  I do try to walk as often as I can... but that is not cardio!  Not by a long shot.  I had to make a mad dash for the bus one day, and it was then that I realized how slack my fitness had become.  My lungs hurt!
It is stating the obvious when I say you can run anywhere... along a country trail in the cool of the morning, or a breezy seawall at dusk.  I have been thinking about running again following the bus incident... well, not that I was ever be considered "a runner"... but I have enjoyed it in the past.  I just read an article about a woman who got into running as she could fit it into her schedule, and she could run, well, anywhere!  Reference was given to a Couch to 5K training program... and if there isn't an app for that!  Since I cannot seem to be parted from my iPhone for too long, it seemed like the perfect program for me!  I am not sure I should be admitting this, thereby committing myself this early in the game, but here I go anyway.  Just learning how the program works... you alternate walking and running and the app indicates the times to switch.  3x a week over a 9 week period.  The idea being at the end you will be able to run 5k, or 30 minutes.  You can even hit pause in order to access the camera or Instagram and take pictures while you are working out.  Now this is exercise I can get behind!  Oh yes, and it also uses GPS and once you are finished your sequence, you can check out nerdy things like your route on the map, how far you went and at what speed you did it in! 

Link: Couch-to-5K in iTunes.

No comments: