Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Chowder Bay













First published Feb 20, 2012

Chowder Bay

Google Maps + iPhone has been a lifesaver for finding my way around my new hometown.  And for finding great new spots!  Sitting in Bacino in Mosman and checking the map to see where I was, I noted that Clifton Gardens was just down the hill.  Having been there years ago, I thought to drive down the hill to take a look.

More research revealed that the bay was called Chowder Bay... a spot my friends had spoken highly of.  Entering the park, I clued in as to why.  Relatively secluded, there are spots for picnicking, and an enclosed playground for kids.  (Am informed by my mom friends that this is a very good thing!)
Clifton Gardens and Chowder Bay are part of Headland Park that stretches from Chowder Bay around to Balmoral Beach.  Indeed, there is a 1.5km / 60 minute walk along the headland between the two bays.  Headland Park is a decommissioned military base, now turned into a park full of interesting history and architecture.  Diving in the bay is available, if that is your thing. It is also home to Ripples dining, and another Bacino cafe... imagine that!  You can relax on the red and white striped deck chairs and enjoy a coffee... or an icy treat.  It is the perfect way to while away a Saturday afternoon.

Headland Park... www.harbourtrust.com.au
Snorkeling and Diving: www.plungediving.com.au


No comments: