Monday, August 26, 2013

Lesson 4 - The Design Process







First published Jan 13, 2013

After being creatively stumped on the last lesson, it was good to move to a clean slate for this session.  In Lesson 4 we had to take a household object and develop a mind map from it.  From that, we had to create five products and a light design.  I chose a wooden rolling pin from the utensil drawer.  Little did I know the humble rolling pin would generate so many ideas.

From it, the mind map, I came up with a homemade baking cafe, complete with a table with wooden legs and a marble top, a stool, wood grain wallpaper and take away packaging.  (This was a fun exercise and hope I get to develop it further in a future class!)

I had to create a light design from the rolling pin as well... can you spot the reference?  The final design is a cafe light that comes in natural wood or white ceramic with a choice of interior colors: Bondi Blue, Bilgola Sunset, Gumtree Green or Harbour Mist.

I am flying through these assignments and feeling like I am not giving each the attention they need!  Still six assignments to go before the end of January.  Wait till you see what the next one looks like!

No comments: