Saturday, August 24, 2013

Week Three


First published Oct 18, 2012

I have always envied people their ability to draw. My own attempts at drawing has brought people to their knees. In fits of laughter! I showed my dad a sketch I had done of Princess Diana (I was thirteen back in the 80s) and he literally fell out of his chair, rolled around on the floor, tears streaming from his eyes in a fit of hysterics. It was that bad. In my dad's defense, he always supported my creative expression and as a young girl he bought me cameras, a sewing machine, fabric... I've kept that shocking sketch of Princess Diana and have brought it out on occasion to more tears and hysterics of friends and family alike. I don't mind... it's my reminder that I really can't draw!

So when I saw the schedule for this week's class, I felt the anxiety build a little. Drawing. My weakness would be exposed for everyone to see! What a relief to learn that there are many ways of drawing and that they need not be life like. We learned some techniques to help us sketch. I am still learning to let go of my judge-y human nature and just go with it. One sketch was dismal... but that's ok. I truly cannot draw animals! (Or faces, apparently!) I picked another picture and went with that. The writing on the picture said 'pure and simple'. It was a reminder that sometimes, simplicity is best. The picture here is my first attempt at drawing and shading. I'm happy with my first attempt. Like anything... I've realized it's all in the practicing. I may not be able to draw faces... but I might get really good at drawing vases!

No comments: