Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Cronulla Daze





















First published Apr 26, 2012

My love letter to Cronulla! I visited five times in seven years, and it holds a special place in my heart.  I was excited to visit again, having been gone for five years already.  Not too much has changed.  There are a few vacant spots on the main drag... but the new additions more than make up for it.  The Old Library Restaurant and Bar being my favorite by far... in the location of... yes, the old library.  I must confess... I don't remember what the old library looked like.  I must have walked past it many times!  (I think it was really ugly and I blocked it out of my mind!)  It is now open for lunch and dinner and serves up simple Italian fare in the middle of a gorgeous interior.  Love the simple black book wall mural.  And it's located on Surf Road... what a great street name!

Across the street, the Dutchee Dutchee boutique is still going strong.  This was a favorite shopping spot of mine when I stayed here.  Funky dresses, separates and accessories by MinkPink, Bardot, Wish, One Teaspoon, Sass etc... the laid back style suits the beach vibe.

Around the corner from the Old Library is the new location of Grind coffee... best coffee I've had in a while.  I did have to save it for later in the day, as I could barely move following my feed of calamari!

Cronulla Beach... where to start!?  South Cronulla is a great spot for families as the park is adjacent to the beach and there's the large retro surf club for quick changes.  North Cronulla can be the spot for surfing.  Slightly farther north is Wanda Reserve and you can walk for a long way along the sand there... always a nice way to escape the world for a while.

Should you find yourself lingering at the beach a while longer... and if you're anything like me... always looking for the next stop for food... South Beach Seafood on Garralle St, on the corner of the park is where you want to stop.  Healthy fish and chips, if there is such a thing.  They use pure, cholesterol-free oil... so you can eat your take away guilt free!  But if you take yours to the park, be prepared to fight off the seagulls.  They want their share as well!

Ah Cronulla... I miss you!  Good thing you're only an hour's train ride away.
PS.  How could I forget to mention the Best Little Bookshop in Town!?  I always hit it up for beach reading... new books in the front, and used books at the back.  I hope Kindles, iPads and the like can co-exist with books.  There's nothing quite like discovering a book tucked away on a dusty bookshelf in a crapped and overflowing bookstore.  You don't get that experience with a Kindle!
Info:
The Old Library Restaurant and Bar - Shop 1/15 Surf Rd, Cronulla
Artwork on The Old Library wall: http://lynesandco.com/following/posts
Dutchee Dutchee boutique - 14/2 Surf Road, Cronulla
The Grind Coffee ... Surf Lane, Cronulla
South Beach Seafood - Shop 1/20 Garrale St, Cronulla
The Best Little Bookshop in Town - 136 Cronulla St

No comments: