Saturday, August 24, 2013

Week One



First published Oct 2012

For someone who has relied on equipment such cameras and computer software to express myself creatively, working with my hands has provided technical relief.  In my first design class, we learnt about the color wheel and painstakingly painted color chips, one shade after another.  It was relaxing and satisfying; I don’t think I have painted since I was about seven years old!  My drawing abilities tend towards stick men.  I have looked ahead at the course plan and there are drawing projects coming up, which makes me quite nervous.
I really appreciated an article I read on The Design Files last week.  The designer found herself at a crossroads, asking the question of what she wanted to be when she grew up.  She looked back on her childhood, and what 10 year old her was doing, which was being very creative.  I’ve thought a lot about this article since, being somewhat at a crossroads myself!  10 year old me was designing hexagon shaped houses with kidney-shaped pools in an interior courtyard!  (How I wish I could find that sketch again!  I am quite sure it was kept for a smile every once in a while!)  10 year old me was also writing, sewing, knitting and begging for a camera!
Which makes me realize that I need to approach my learning like I am a kid again.  Just go with it; don’t judge myself, don’t be afraid to make mistakes and don’t be afraid to learn new things rather than leaning on what I know.

No comments: