Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Raspberry Cafe Muffins

 
 
First published March 30, 2012
 
I am calling these 'Cafe Muffins' as cafes seem to be about the only place where you can find these kinds of muffins.  I always find homemade muffins to be dry and on the piddly side! Single Origin (Surry Hills) has a yummy raspberry muffin ...  so I sought to replicate it at home.  Unlike some people I know, I don't live across the street!  It's a bit of a journey across town whenever I get a craving!  Time to create it at home!
 
I am not sure I have got the muffin right, yet.  The texture is a dense cake crumb with raspberry flavor.  The following recipe is getting closer... using raspberry yogurt for moisture and added flavor.  The Single Origin muffins have a distinct raspberry flavor throughout, maybe they use a raspberry flavoring in the batter.  They may also use sour cream for that texture.  It's a work in progress.  In the meantime, these muffins are still really tasty... especially warm out of the oven!


 
Raspberry Cafe Muffins
 
Makes 6 cafe size muffins (or 1 dozen regular muffins)
 
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 carton (6 ounces) raspberry yogurt
1/3 cup oil
1 egg
1 cup frozen raspberries
Demerara sugar to sprinkle on top
 
Preheat oven to 400˚F.
Cut six - 12cm x 15cm squares out of parchment paper, form into cups and place in muffin cups.
In medium mixing bowl, stir together dry ingredients.
In small bowl, beat together yogurt, oil and egg.
Stir yogurt mixture and raspberries into dry mixture until almost blended.
Add raspberries and stir until batter is just blended. Do not overmix.
Spoon into prepared muffin cups... I used two ice cream scoops full for each muffin cup.
Sprinkle tops with Demerara sugar.
Bake until nicely browned, about 25 minutes, (20 minutes more for regular size muffins.)
 
 
A note on the photos... I had a hard time picking a favorite one, so used my three favorites.  I like the black background as it does remind me of a cafe.  It was a happy mistake, as I had originally used the pink fabric as a backdrop, but it wasn't working for me.  45 minutes later, the picture above was my favorite result.
 
To form the papers, find a cup that fits into the bottom of the muffin pan, and form the parchment paper around that.
 
 
 
 

No comments: