Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Double Bay











First published March 20, 2012

Double Bay

I have been very fortunate to have been residing in Rose Bay for the past few months.  I have been busy settling my dad into a care home, and taking care of his matters.  This has been a bit of a stressful, ongoing job.  To off-balance this, I have taken some time out to explore my new hometown.  I have visited a few places... Mosman, Northern Beaches, Sydney CBD... but hadn't really investigated Double Bay, the next suburb over.  Isn't that the way it goes!?

I almost rethought my visit, as it was dumping rain... not exactly inviting weather in which to exploring a new neighborhood on foot.  Then I had another thought... I am from Vancouver, where it rains an awful lot... so toughen up!  The cool damp day made a hot pasta lunch all the more special.  I had looked up Double Bay on Urban Walkabout before venturing out, and they recommended Simmone Logue for 'food for body and mind'... perfect!  Spinach and ricotta pasta with side salad... which had the tastiest balsamic dressing, lemon tart and cappuccino, that's a given!  I had a corner table and could not stop taking pictures of the chair against the chalk menu board!  (I love the iPhone for pics like this.  I such a tight space, I would have had problems juggling my DSLR.)

Pre and post lunch, I explored the other stores on Cross Street... Papier D'Amour was chock-a-block with gorgeous papers, ribbons, cards and the most extensive Kate Spade collection I have seen anywhere.  Scrumptious Chocolates and Cakes lived up to it's name, and then some.  The store is a dream of tables laden with teacups and chocolates. A must-visit for Easter.

Not pictured here is Danielle Chiel, luxury hand knits.  I was drawn in by the gorgeous knits in the window.  The store manager said that there are around 400 knitters in Australia knitting for the store!  To become a knitter, you have to pass a couple of knitting tests... and if you pass, you can knit for the store.  Balls of wool and patterns are sent to you, and you are reimbursed for your work.  (I was offered to apply, but judging by my rather lopsided recently completed blanket... I think I need some more experience before taking that on!)

Ten-year-old me would have swooned over the pram and dollhouse in the window of the toy store, Adrienne and the Misses Bonney.  Ok, older me
Simmone Logue - 2 Cross Street, Double Bay
www.simmonelogue.com.au
Scrumptious Chocolates and Cakes -  4 Cross Street, Double Bay
www.scrumptiousstore.com.au
Papier D'Amour - 8 Cross Street, Double Bay
www.papierdamour.com.au
Danielle Chiel - 28-34 Cross Street, Double Bay
www.daniellechiel.com.au
Adrienne and the Misses Bonney - 55 Bay Street, Double Bay
http://adrienne-bonney.com.au

No comments: