Monday, August 19, 2013

Coffee Break



First published, Dec 15, 2011

In 1917, following the introduction of the Literacy Act to curtail the flow of immigration into the US, Italian immigration to Australia increased.  Along with this immigration, they brought their tradition of coffees, which were adopted by the Australians. Living in Australia as a young girl, I recall my mom always enjoying a cappuccino when we were out shopping at the mall, or such.  I remember her commenting on the lack of decent coffee in White Rock (BC) when we moved there in the late 70s.  Dad had often thought of opening up a decent coffee store back in the early 1980s.  If only he had of... ah... hindsight!

I was remembering mom enjoying a daily coffee, over my own cappuccino the other day.  Sydney has a wealth of coffee bars and cafes... it is hard to find a bad cup of coffee here.  I have found myself craving that coffee break in the middle of the day... time to sit down and let your world stop while enjoying the thick foam and caramel-y espresso if a yummy cappuccino.  Out and about on errands most days, I wonder where that day's coffee break will find me.
Photo above - afternoon coffee at Mecca... 1 Albert Street, Sydney (various locations)
Single Origin - Surry Hills. Side note: jam-filled Lamingtons are a must, but you have to get there early.

Utopia - 2/7 Macquarie Pl, Sydney
Klink Coffee - 281 Clarence St, Sydney
Europan, Newcastle St, Rose Bay
Zubi Espresso Bar, Newport Beach - Beautiful garden out back where you can sit and relax.
To name a few...

No comments: