Thursday, July 25, 2013

Tuna Surprise



First published Feb 22, 2011

Tuna Surprise

Picky eater that I am, I've always avoided tuna sandwiches.  Mixed with mayonnaise and some chopped celery tossed in, these sandwiches make a nasty habit of showing up at buffet luncheons and the like. I almost missed out on the sandwich below, as my cousin had dubbed it Tuna Surprise (which I mistakenly confused with a nasty casserole from the 60s).  It shouldn't come as a surprise that it's so yummy, given that it comes from Donna Hay "Off the Shelf", which is my go-to recipe book for simple yet tasty meals.  This sandwich also makes the perfect picnic food.  Make up the flavored tuna ingredients before leaving the house, and grab a fresh baguette on your way to the beach.  Easy and refreshing!

Ingredients
425g can of drained tuna
1 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp rinsed salted capers
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1/2 finely sliced red onion
1/2 cup chopped flat leaf parsley

Combine in a bowl, then spoon into baguettes (or toss through hot or cold pasta).

No comments: