Friday, August 20, 2010

June 17 - Part II: Vatican City












As mentioned in the previous, the others had the right idea of going back to the guest suite to escape the heat of the day. I continued on the bus to the Vatican City. The entrance to the Vatican Museum closed at 3pm, and I was hoping to avoid long lineups. I had no idea where the entrance was to the museum, and spent an unnecessary hour in the heat wandering around, looking for it. (It's to the right of main entrance of the Vatican City, around several corners and about 5,000,000 steps!)

I walked straight into the Vatican Museum, no lineups for me! However, I wasn't prepared for another marathon walk to get to the Sistine Chapel. Miles and miles of corridors covered with tapestries and paraphernalia of thousands of years of the Catholic Church. Miles of corridors, then up stairs, down stairs, through tiny rooms, and more stairs and finally you're in the Sistine Chapel. By this time, you're so exhausted, I don't think you can fully appreciate it. A bit of cynicism had crept into me; "Nice ceiling some guy painted. Now, where can I get a coffee around here?"

Funny you should ask. The museum cafe is located outside in the gardens and offers gorgeous views of the buildings, fountain and formal gardens. I think I enjoyed it more than the art... but shhhh... don't tell anyone!

No comments: