Sunday, June 27, 2010

May 30 - Paris: Jardin des Tuileries







Jardin des Tuileries

Back to Jardin des Tuileries for another look around. There are several cafes within the gardens, and it was here that I discovered heaven on earth... also known as a Nutella crepe with Chantilly. Chantilly is French for whipped cream, and I never ordred another crepe without a side of Chantilly!

It should be noted that most places in Paris are closed on Sundays, restaurants included. We in North America are so used to all the stores being open all the time for our convenience. While it feels a bit strange to see all the stores closed shop for the day, it’s nice in a way. People are milling around in parks and squares, spending time with family and friends, or attending one of the many churches. It seems to be a day to slow things down, to spend with others, and just chill out. I couldn’t help but think that we North Americans could take a lesson from the French.

Since most things are closed on Sundays, if I were to go to Paris over a weekend again, I’d take another day. Then you could relax with the locals on Sunday, and get in restaurant visits and shopping the other days. I never did find my perfect Eiffel Tower souvenir!

No comments: