Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Bathroom Assignment

If you have been wondering where I have been... well, I have been working on this bathroom assignment, so expect miracles!

The brief was to design a bathroom for a busy working couple in their 30s.  They wanted something luxurious, but also easy to clean.  Separate basins were also required as was a bath tub.

My starting point was concrete tile that I sourced through one of the tile suppliers who supports the school.  This tile is gorgeous... in situ, it looks like concrete formwork. Yes, I have developed a love for concrete thanks to swimming pool design days!  Actually, swimming pool design practice came back to me while working on this project. We used to consult with architects on change room layouts.  Two things I applied to this project were small mosaic tiles for the floor (small tiles allow for more grout lines to create grip for bare feet) and separating the space into wet and dry areas.

In reviewing the layout, I realized I had the space to separate the space into male and female sides, therefore meeting the brief for separate basins.  While sourcing the concrete tile (which was to be used as a feature wall on the female side), I also fell in love with some marble tile, which had some grey through it which linked with the concrete tile.  The octagonal marble tile was to be used on the floor, and the square tile to be used on all vertical surfaces and in the walk in shower.  Around this time, I had seen a Jamie Oliver food video where he had a timber bench top... and I had to have that too!  Slowly a palette developed into what I unofficially called "rustic luxury".  The design developed into rough and smooth, light and dark, squares and curves, old and new; his and hers.  (I titled it 'lui et elle' because with the addition of the Bentwood chair on the mosaic tile, it reminded me of the French bistro in Sydney CBD, Felix.

Some detailing bits: the shaving mirror over the male sink is rimmed and hung with a brown leather strap, the square vessel sink sits on a walnut bench top, there is a window over the tub which looks out onto a private garden (with high walls and a locking gate!), the female bench top is sparkling white Corian with integrated sink; the make up counter to the left is also Corian and connected to the bench space, a walnut Bentwood chair for use at the make up counter, the mirror over the female sink has integrated LED lighting and the ceiling light is an Italian glass chandelier.  (You have to love clients with deep pockets!)

If I have missed any details, I am sure you can piece them together in the images below.  Now, I only hope I can put as much detail into the commercial space that I have to design by the end of next week; of which I have barely started.  (I feel panic setting in!)






No comments: